The EBP Professorial Unit is a joint initiative between Bond University and the Gold Coast Hospital and Health Service. We operate on the principle that the incorporation of the best evidence in routine clinical care leads to the best outcomes for patients. We aim to ensure all health care workers are skilled users of research.
We are working with clinical staff, clinical research teams, the GCUH Office for Research Governance and Development and the Gold Coast University Hospital Health Library to:
- Build a sustainable culture of evidence-based practice at the Hospital to improve the quality, effectiveness safety and efficiency of clinical services;
- Embed high quality clinical research as part of routine care;
- Build staff and student research capability across the GCUH;
- Enhance the research activity and the productivity of the GCUH health care practitioners; and to increase external research grant
Members of the unit, themselves active researchers and evidence-based practitioners, work with the hospital staff in several ways with support available from novices to champions, through delivery of workshops, and individual consultations to assist hospital-based researchers in designing research studies.
Using evidence to improve clinical practice
Health practitioners engage with research on several levels:
- Using up-to-date and relevant research in clinical work,
- Participating in research teams,
- Conducting and leading others in research projects
The EBP Professorial Unit supports and engages with health practitioners at all levels of research participation. We will tailor EBP workshops to your departments needs and provide you access to additional online learning material.
Levels of research
|Level 1: Users of research||How to use evidence to improve clinical practice||
Basic EBP Training
|Level 2: Participants in research||How to create evidence||
All level 1 resources
|Level 3: Leaders in research||How to maintain EBP excellence||
All level 1 and 2 resources
- Provide education, training and workshops
- EBP workshops (4 hours face to face + 9 hours online self-directed learning)
- Protocol writing workshop (2 days)
- Knowledge Translation Course (3 days)
- Systematic review workshop (1 day)
- Research capability building, individual consultations, coaching & mentoring
- Developing a new mixed-methods teaching EBP to eBooks and on-line assessments
- Expand to integrate into ePortfolios and development of specialty modules
- Support of knowledge translational activities
- Working with GCUH Research Office to understand how to increase medical EBP& research engagement
- Provide statistical advisory services and systematic reviews
- Scoping review on effective interventions for Deprescribing older hospitalised patients near the end of life
- Enhancing advance care planning through extraction of routine data in general practice
- Development and testing of an electronic decision support tool to encourage end-of-life discussions and minimise low-value care
- Phase 1: InterACT project (Intervention for Appropriate Care and Treatment) Reduce low-value care / non-beneficial treatments across wards
- Whack-a-mole: whacking non-evidence-based claims on the head
- Medical and Surgical Trainee EBP and Research requirements
- Systematic review of guideline non-adherence to identify overuse of tests and treatments at population level
- Community pharmacist referral to general practice (funded by the HSM ECR grant)
Workshops and research support
The EBP Professorial Unit offers discounted seats for Gold Coast Hospital and Health Service District staff to attend workshops aimed at providing them with EBP and research skills and knowledge. In addition, the unit also offers individual consultations for researchers on their projects.
This workshop provides fundamental skills in Evidence Based Practice (EBP). It is aimed at busy clinicians who want to learn how to effectively search and evaluate evidence to answer clinical questions.
This includes creating answerable questions using PICO, how to critically appraise the quality of the evidence found, understanding the statistics, and applying findings to every-day practice. No previous EBP or research experience is required.
The 4-hour face to face workshops are tailored to your department needs. You will work in small groups and will have access to additional online learning materials.
EBP workshops are free for Gold Coast Hospital and Health Service District staff.
Please contact us to discuss your department needs [email protected]
The EBP Professorial Unit offers individual consultations to assist hospital-based researchers with designing research studies, seed funding and grant applications.
Consultations are available for those who have research experience or those who have completed the EBP workshops.
Consultations booking: [email protected]
- Protocol Writing Workshop
- Systematic Review Workshop
For both workshops we offer seats at discounted price for GCUH and Health Service District staff, please visit our events page for more information and to register for workshops